1. Drink a large glass of water before every meal. No excuses.
2. Don’t drink your calories (I stopped drinking alcohol, which not everyone is able to do, but make better choices like Coke Zero instead of full fat Coke, you will get used to the taste, trust me)
3. Eat protein at every meal – You’re going to be horrible and grumpy if you don’t
4. Try not to eat as much refined sugar or grains. Start small like cutting out those 2 sugars in your tea, and gradually add to it, soon you won’t crave sugar at all.
5. Eat Fiber every day (30 – 50g is the dietary suggestion). I eat Apples cos Bran tastes like a cardboard box.
6. Eat Apples and Berries every single day. Every day. No excuses.
7. Don’t eat Carbs after lunch – also, do research and educate yourself, carbs are not only in Pasta people!
8. Learn to read food labels and KNOW what you are eating!
9. Stop guessing about portion size and get it right. We all eat far too much.
10. Make one day a week a meat free day.
11. Stop eating Fast Food and Take away. I don’t need to explain this one, you all know Fast Food is bad for you.
12. Eat a real breakfast. It’s the most important meal of the day, don’t skip it!
13. Make your own food and eat the majority of your meals at home. Home preparation means you can weight out your proper servings and won’t over eat, also its cheaper, you and your wallet will thank me.
14. Banish highly salted food
15. Eat all your vegetables, and eat a variety of them too, something you may not have liked when you were younger you may find delicious now. I for example now eat Onions, Peppers and Cabbage, 3 things I thought I would never put in my mouth ever again.
16. Get enough sleep. Sleep is more important than people think.
17. Plan one splurge meal a week. That’s one MEAL to splurge, not a whole WEEK of splurging 😉
18. Get active, even if it’s just parking further away from the Mall entrance so you have to walk further, little positive changes.
19. Reward yourself. For every 5 kgs that I lose I treat myself to something, nothing expensive just little things that I don’t need but that make me happy like a massage, or a new pair of jeans or a piece of jewellery.
20. Take before and after photos. It sounds stupid but trust me, when you see how far you have come on your journey it will give you the motivation you need to keep on keeping on.